Pakistan Muslim League leader Ahsan Iqbal has urged Justice (retd.) Azmat Saeed Sheikh to recuse himself from the Broadsheet inquiry commission.
Addressing a ceremony, he said that Justice Azmat Saeed is now investigating the same anti-graft watchdog.
He added that PML-N’s objections are not personal but simply highlighting the conflict of interest.
Justice (retd) Azmat Saeed Shaikh has been appointed as the head of the inquiry commission probe Broadsheet scandal, the federal government issued a notification.
As per the details, the Cabinet Secretariat issued a notification regarding the appointment of Justice (retd) Azmat Saeed Shaikh as the head of the inquiry commission.
Shaikh has been appointed under Sector 3 of the Pakistan Commissions of Inquiry Act 2017, the terms of reference (ToRs) were also mentioned. According to details, the notification includes the following Terms of Reference:
- To examine the process of selection and appointment of Trouvons LLC, Broadsheet LLC, and International Asset Recovery Limited (‘IAR’) and execution of Agreements in the year 2000.
- To examine the circumstances, reasons, and effect of cancellation of Agreements with Broadsheet LLC and IAR in 2003.
- To identify and determine the reasons and effect of settlement and payments made on behalf of Pakistan to IAR and Broadsheet LLC in 2008, and whether the payments made were justified.
- To identify the persons or officials responsible for making the wrong payment of USD 1.5 million to the wrong person in the year 2008 which was not entitled to receive such payment.
- To identify as to whether the arbitration proceedings before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) and subsequent appeal before the High Court of Justice in London regarding Broadsheet LLC were conducted diligently and efficiently.