Women around the world have spoken out about their experiences of travelling and most of the women said that it is risky for them to travel alone.
The truth is, women experience a large amount of harassment and abuse while travelling alone. If we say that any woman shouldn’t travel alone is illogical when no country has successfully tackled, and stopped, gender inequality and sexual violence.
However the limitation of women’s solo travel remains an inquisitively acceptable shape of victim-blaming There’s a need to create space for the stories in which ladies traveling to be multi-dimensional instead of one-sided. Otherwise, we’ll miss out on the opportunity to genuinely encounter the things around the world.
There are some tips for solo women traveler which might be helpful.
- Prepare for the Worst: In case if anytthing happens like your purse or card gets stolen, you should have a backup with you. For documents, you should keep copies in a storage like your Google Docs or Dropbox. For cash, always have some of your cash hidden somewhere deep inside your luggage so in any worst scenario you should not be cashless.
- Be confident: Women should be extremely confidently while travelling alone.Hold your head up high and walk with purpose. It will make you look less vulnerable, and therefore, like less of a target.
- Stay Alert: Always stay alert. Try to mingle with the locals. Pockets pickers are found everywhere around the world, you can be the target for them if you don’t stay alert.
- Learn to say Help: Don’t be ever afraid to ask or scream for HELP. It may save you from many disasters. Also, If you are traveling in a country where English is not the first language, it would be beneficial to learn the word for ‘help’ in that country’s official language.
- Stay Connected with your family: Always keep in touch with your friends and family. They are the ones who are going to worry for you. Make sure that someone you trust knows your full itinerary, including where you are, when and to where you are going, and when you arrive at a new destination.
Women should be encouraged to travelling alone Life-threatening dangers are rare for travelers. Don’t let fear stop you from going on amazing trips, and don’t let fear ruin your trip.
Be prepared. Stay safe but don’t be afraid.